Thread: Mono or OSC?
View Single Post
Old 16-08-2018, 12:50 PM
Imme (Jon)

Hi Kevin
There is no doubt mono will give you better results, I'll never argue that. But how much worse will the OSC be and is it so much worse that it takes it out of the equation? I don't think so. Some of my recent pic's with a OSC have been, in my opinion, pretty good. I've had a few comments surprised it is OSC actually.
I have the same thoughts on telescopes........You can spend $10k on a top of the line scope that would give better pics than a $2k scope, but how much better are they? Can you and I as hobbyists tell the difference? Probably not.
If you're wanting the best pictures you can get then my advice would be buy a new mount for $20K, then put a scope on top of it worth $10K, then buy a mono camera/filter wheel combo for $5k (in that order). A good mono camera will give amazing detail......but that detail will be smudged and ruined by a cheap mount, inferior optics or poor guiding.

I guess it boils down to this.....

You don't put re-treads on a Ferrari, so why put top of the line equipment on a mediocre mount and scope?

My 2 cents.....