View Single Post
Old 27-04-2019, 01:49 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

In case anyone is interested I got my Black 3.0 paint a week or so ago. As for blackest black, not really. But its an artists paint and i dont have a canvas to try it on. It is black though and yes matte, so it looks a bit like chalkboard. Does absorb light fairly well but the example photos are nothing like what it looks like for me. It is very black when in shade but in direct line of site of primary lightsource the shape painted on is very obvious.

I didn’t buy it for astro though, i have some art uses where it will help and some camera uses I’ve tried. My walking stick is black anodised aluminium and theres a patch where my regular use has gently worn through to the metal underneath. I coated around the area with the black paint and its obviously not as deep a black as the anodised. Its been there just over a week so its getting worn too now. I applied directly to the anodised and raw aluminium, no primer or clear coat. And its started to wear off. Its not chipping which many paints would. I’ve also put it on a camera i use and its on parts subject to movement rubbing with other parts and its not leaving flakes or dust i can find. Ive also put it on the inside of lens hoods.

As for their definition of black, I’d say it refers to the amount of reflected light, probably testing the strength of a laser pointer on various paints. As a wet paint its glossy and yes very very black. So my initial impression at this point is its safe and useful for internal surfaces to reduce risk of stray light interfering with a view in an eye piece or image contrast in an image. My camera I painted is a Leica, not exactly garbage but my confidence at using the paint on it was high enough to do so. I’m not saying its awesome or better than other solutions or perfect for Your purposes just if you think it is something you want for a project I can recommend giving it a try. It has yet to show any problems for me, the biggest concern with paints is the chipping and flakes getting into unwanted areas. So far I’m confident enough it wont flake. Rubbing will wear it off but not as flakes or free dust, likewise if i wet it but still takes rubbing to remove and doesnt appear to dissolve fast and blacken a tissue on its own without rubbing to help it along.

A pleasant surprise was how flat physically the paint seems to end up once dry. I applied by brush without particular care or evenness on some large flat areas and once dry it looked evenly painted as a spray would do. So at the very least if you want a flat matte black finish without my fuss it works a treat. Water based so brush cleanup is dead easy too.

Also got some glow in the dark powder from them too which is also good, mixed some up with some model paint and a satin coat, mixed in smoothly and i’m going to have to be annoying to the products and mix the “best glow powder” with the “blackest black paint” and create some form of space time anomally