View Single Post
Old 16-01-2019, 03:19 PM
Pepper (Steve)

going in blind, chronicles of a noob...

hey all.
thought id make a thread about being a noob to this, maybe it will help other noobs, maybe not.
Anyway, I got my scope at Christmas time from my lovely partner. A skywatcher ED100 on a eq5pro mount.(yeah, she wouldnt spring the extra bucks for a bigger mount but beggars cant be choosers and all...)
thus far i love the thing. It truly is a magnificent sight some of these things that lurk up there, the goto works really well and sure makes what could be a difficult thing easy.
Took a couple of nights to get the goto to work properly and get my poor little brain around it, and then polar alignment for a beginner like me is a bit of a trick too. I seem to have that bit worked out pretty good though, can get it to stay on a star for long time without drifting away now using the synscan polar alignment.
Up until a few days ago i spent most nights outside just gazing and using the synscan library to get around and get familiar with different things. Had a zoom eyepiece and a barlow come in the mail a week ago.
the moon when its been around has been great, got a couple of good snaps with my iphone which left me wanting more.
Enter cameras and computer...........eats up the bucks quick this hobby!
ordered a couple of cameras,(asi224mc and 120mm and a zwo guidescope from John at bintel (very helpful guy and got it posted out to me asap), they turned up on friday and ive spent a few days getting accustomed to them and the software required to work it all.(im not a computer nerd by any means so im new to that side of things too)
took some snaps of the moon which i reckon look great but probably unlookable for most of you more experienced chappies..
have to get the guidescope and camera sorted out yet, need to see me engineer mate to make me a nice aluminium mount to fix it to my tube rings.
ill put a couple of pics up soon so i can have you guys pick em apart and let me know what im doing wrong.
i apologise for grammar and whatnot in advance too... im a shocker .