View Single Post
Old 24-09-2018, 12:15 PM
brian nordstrom (As avatar)

I hear you Alex , cables are a bain of us , especially at night when it happens and you don't know until its too late , just like this .

This happened about 2 weeks ago when using my sweet Vixen SP , all was going well until I heard a noise and the DEC stopped ?? .

Yes the dreaded cable hang up and it pulled the old ' DIN ' plug sideways and loosened a wire or 2 inside and stopped , pack up time .

Last saturday I found time to check the damage and yes of course Vixen fill the empty inside of the DIN plug with resin so there is NO WAY ! to get inside , bugger , but luckely Jaycar had some on the shelf for $3.75c so I grabbed 2 of them .

One hurdle down .

Man on cutting the old plug off I found 8 , yes 8 !! wires in the cable about as big as phone line wires , out with the multi meter , pad and paper to do a diagram and trace which wire goes where , not to bad doing this , BUT !! .

Look at the photo of the inside of the new DIN plug , its tiny and even with a luminated magnifying glass on stand , wife's reading glasses , soldering stand , 5 clips , etc , etc this was a hard ( fiddly ) job for an old Boilermaker who is used to a ball pein hammer , but I got it in the end .
And it worked perfect first time ,, yea beer a'clock .

I dont think that the hook up on the night caused the wires to break inside the plug , more than likely a combination of 20 years of hook up's caused them to finially give up the ghost , yes Alex ,,, its a right PITA .

Brian.

ps. note the ' Zip ' tie holding the cable to the DEC motor housing ,,, this ain't gonna happen again on my watch .
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180924_094256 (2).jpg)
205.1 KB19 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180924_094323 (2).jpg)
217.8 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20180924_094424 (2).jpg)
190.8 KB22 views