View Single Post
Old 04-11-2010, 10:34 AM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Chris, as I mentioned in PM, I'd get a (good quality) circular polariser first, then maybe a neutral density filter, then worry about graduated NDs. The first 2 are very versatile, useful, less bulky to carry around, quicker to piut on the lens, and cheaper. I would imagine that there aren't too many GND owners that didn't already have a CPL and ND filters in their bag.

For screw in, good quality CPL and ND filters you might be looking at $100-$150 or so. (Been a while since I bought mine, lost feel for price). Hoya and B&W are good brands. Get the multicoated Super Pro type ones. Check out 2filers.com, or Adorama, or B&H Photo. Not sure of Aussie distributors other than D-D-photographics.

For good quality GNDs you pay more than that just for the filter itself, plus you need to buy the holder, plus the adapter to fix it to the lens, plus you usually get a couple - 2 stop soft, 3 stop hard. I've gone with Lee filters. They're not the most expensive, but they're not the cheapest either. It was a compromise of quality, cost, and how much I'll use them. Best brands are Singh Ray. Steer clear of the Cokins. They're cheap, but from all reports they have a colour cast (ie they're not neutral, they make shots a bit magenta). Check out Adorama, B&H, or locally there's a mob down in Syd or Melb - Vanbar Imaging or something like that.

For such a wide lens, make sure the filters you get won't cause vignetting. Check to make sure the adapters are wide-angle type ones.

That's all I can think of at the moment.