View Single Post
Old 22-07-2020, 11:01 AM
Tasaurora (Si)

Mate - I’ve just gone through your same experience...very frustrating but there is star light at the tunnel.

I bought a goto dob and it pained me for hours whilst kids ran around bored.
Here’s what I’ve learned (help also from great ppl on here);

Get the finda scope absolutely spot on in day light - using goto in manual. I use a mountain tree about 30klms away. I cannot emphasise how important it is to get this correct. I allow scope to be about an inch higher due to differences in distance.
Then - make sure your scope is dead level and on a hard surface - I found soft ground added to movement so I now use a board to help with gear lash.
I bought a battery pack from SC for $60 and it works for - it’s never run out.
Enter into goto basic details, your gps can be found from compass on iPhone.
I use two star method for alignment - and this can be challenging for a newbie like me. I downloaded a 3D star map to help.
This is why you HAVE to get finda scope dead on - because when scope slews automatically to second star, it is hard to work out wtf it’s pointing at - as 1000 stars suddenly appear and you are choosing the right one in eye piece? Yeah...it’s not easy. Choose another star that’s easier to isolate.
But - once it IS dialled - it’s worth it. Just for the tracking alone it is worth it - looking at the planets without auto tracking is mind bending frustrating.