View Single Post
Old 07-02-2018, 12:54 PM
bigjoe (JOSEPH)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tinderboxsky View Post
I had a chance to observe this globular cluster last night in very good seeing and transparency.
My sense of the scene was a bright very condensed central spot surrounded by a halo of light that was brighter closer to the central spot. So, yes, it certainly appeared just as you had described. I spent a while observing trying to check that I was not being misled to simply seeing what you had reported.
At one point I hopped over to NGC 2808 in Carina to compare observations. Here, there is a quite broad bright central core and a surrounding spray of light, much of which, shows resolved pin point stars and the rest looks right on the edge of resolving into individual stars. This did not look mist like.
It was an interesting target. I too, shall be interested to hear of others observations.
Scope: Vixen NA140SS on TRex mount and Pan24, LVW 13 & 8 eyepieces.
Youve got good eyes Steve .. "Eyes like O'meara " As they say..
Have yet to look circumspectly at this one..with clouds and all..had fun with JABBAH and Antares recently though.

Will give it a shot tonight; along with the brilliant Clobular N2808 in Carina, which I find wants aperture for a good show, and for others, is right near the wonderful Upsilon Carinae..part of the Diamond Cross Asterism...so much in that area ...were spoilt.
Enjoyed your observation of these objects Steve.
bigjoe.

Last edited by bigjoe; 07-02-2018 at 04:12 PM. Reason: Adding