View Single Post
Old 27-03-2012, 07:34 PM
Screwdriverone (Chris)
I have detailed files....

Right,

I have had my tanty now and I have untwisted my knickers....

Ivo, yes I have tried the vignetting preset in Startools, however, my results seem to give me a donut of haze on the edges of the middle blob....I might have to revisit and spend some more (read "little adjustments") time on this in your excellent program.....

Trevor,

Thanks for smacking me upside the head. Here I was *****ing and moaning and completely forgot that I was capturing these low in the east when Sagittarius couldnt have been more than 30-35 degrees up!

Damn fool I am, I completely got side tracked with debayering and stacking and ending up with a faded M20 covered in FOG like noise and didnt see the nose in front of my face.

The main thing that started me off was the fact that ONE single RAW 30 sec ISO 1600 sub viewed in DPP or converted to TIFF looks BETTER than the stacked 25 mins result of the 5 min subs. Having said that though, even the single RAW 5 miin sub looks better than my stacked result.

I just couldnt figure out why MORE data was looking WORSE than a 4.5 min JPG stack I did over two years ago with no guiding and no darks etc...its because I was STACKING more NOISE on top of each other.....

Just one thing (yes I know its more money) would a CCD CLS EOS clip help with the city/sky glow to give me better data or am I just polishing the proverbial excrement wasting $200 on this as I am using an unmodded camera?

OR, should I turf the underperforming 1000D and go for an Orion Starshoot V2 for $1450 or a QHY8L for about the same and simply get better data in shorter times to reduce this frustration level somewhat?

(BTW - thanks for the advice guys, and listening to me whinge and moan, yet again about my shortcomings.... )

I'm gunna go and gently play with this and some eagle and M104 subs I also got that night now in Startools and see if I can scrub out some results.

Cheers

Chris