View Single Post
Old 07-10-2018, 09:00 PM
glend (Glen)

Integration - the future of Imaging

I was reading a recent thread started by Atmos (Colin) about cameras, and it struck me that we still tend to think of imaging componentry as consisting of discrete items that we source (as our budgets allow) and put together to build a system that suits our needs and legacy equipment.
However, recent developments are pointing towards a systems integration approach that removes many of the headaches that many Newbies go through (ie the learning curve). I am thinking of the ASIAir product:

https://astronomy-imaging-camera.com/product/zwo-asiair

which brings an advanced integration approach at a very low cost. Sure it won't suit everybody, but what ZWO is doing here is bundling up a system that would suit most new imagers who are just starting out. Once a Newbie gets a taste for a low cost integrated imaging solution, why would they tear their hair out (and burn cash) building one from scratch?
I think ZWO are thinking way ahead of some of their competitors, and as we saw with their CMOS cameras, they are driving strategic change in imaging.

The ASIAir feature set is impressive, and likely just the beginning of the drive for a fully integrated platform.

What is your view on the future of imaging technology and software integration?