View Single Post
Old 11-07-2015, 09:23 PM
jase (Jason)

There are numerous ways of dealing with this and everyone has their own ideas, workflow, etc.

My preference is to use Pixel Math in MaximDL keeping the data in a numerical FITS format until I obtain the aesthetics I'm looking for. Only then will I covert to TIFF for PS work. Sometimes, I'll also import the FITS in to PI for DBE and other stuff before bring it back into CCDStack. FITS is interchangable but you'll need to multiply the PI FITS using Pixel Math to get the data visible in CCDstack again. Anyway, I digress.

In MaximDL, you can blend a percentage of the;
Ha master to red master (50-70% or to taste) to create a Ha+R master
Ha master to luminance master (50-70% or to taste) to create a Ha+L mater
Ha master to blue master (10-15% or to taste) to create a Ha+B master

Once you've got your new masters (Ha+R, Ha+L and Ha+B), you can continue to use your usual routine to create an RGB master with the Ha introduced fits and colour balance them. Rarely will I do a LRGB combine in tools like MaximDL or CCStack, only RGB. Adding the luminance in PS will be provide far greater control.

I've found working with numbers i.e. in FITS format, measuring background levels etc, will give you a more consistent HA blending result. Probably not important for a single image but when conducting a [Ha+R]GB multi panel mosaic, you soon appreciate this.