View Single Post
Old 08-06-2020, 08:48 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atmos View Post
It's an older Sony sensor, probably from before they were mass producing the 16-bit CMOS sensors.
It's a very intriguing one though, if it was mono it would really interest me definitely over the newer ones. I'm a fan of the slightly larger pixels
US $3695 seems high for an older sensor not 16bit.

I don't think this is an old sensor. Its only recently been released along with 5 other full frame sensors with various features. The 14bit seems to be aimed at increasing the frames per second.

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/produ...0CQK_Flyer.pdf

6nm pixels is a good average size for many setups under average seeing conditions. if you get access to better seeing you could go smaller pixels.

I am finding the 183mm with its 2.4nm pixels can be quite sharp at times but it does show up the seeing pretty quickly.

So this camera would be competing with the KAF16200 sensor 16 bit. I must say I am not 100% sure how important 16 bit is. Per the promo on ZWO it shows 16 bit as having smoother gradations of grey rather than distinct steps. What that does to your final astro image I am not sure.

Per Cloudynights thread it was hinted at by QHY that a mono version may be possible. Not sure how often these rumours come true though.

Greg.

Last edited by gregbradley; 08-06-2020 at 09:03 AM.