View Single Post
Old 03-06-2020, 11:13 PM
Bjim (Jim Brydon)

Fixed post grinding/polishing machine.

Hi all! I started making a grinding/ polishing machine last year( 2019). It is mainly made from odd junk I had around with a few bought pieces. I bought some pulleys, bearings and belts from Bearing Services Taree, shafts from Manning River Steel and skate board style wheels from Bunnings. The motor is from an early exercise machine that I found at a road side council cleanup. It has a spring loaded pulley where if the motor assembly moves toward the other pulley via a crank handle, the motor pulley gets bigger giving me variable drive at the turntable. The belt attaches to the pulley of a bbq spit worm drive 30:1 reduction ratio I got from a garage sale for $10 - it just needed a clean, new grease and now works really smoothly. From the worm drive a stepped pulley on it I got for nothing (off an old drill press) and belt to another step pulley on the turntable drive shaft drives the first turntable and provides more variable speed. The first drive shaft can be connected to another drive shaft via belt and equal pulleys so that I can grind/ polish two mirrors at once. The two mirrors at once are necessary as I want to make at least one binocular telescope which needs identical (or very close to within a couple of mm) focal length mirrors. Pic attached more if interested.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (image.jpeg)
198.1 KB65 views