View Single Post
Old 15-05-2020, 10:55 AM
mental4astro (Alexander)
kids+wife+scopes=happyman

Hi Wayne,

For both visual and photo, a tracking mount does not need to be used. There are consequences of course due to the movement of the Earth, such as short exposure times and limited to lunar and planetary for photo, and of course needing the nudge, nudge, nudge the scope with visual.

When it comes to a tracking mount, things then start to change. The accuracy of polar alignment is more critical with longer and longer exposure times, and to take things even further there are the individual image idiosyncracies of the different scope designs that need "correcting" for photo, and then even further still is guiding the mount in order to get the tightest possible stellar images once the optical train has been nailed.

With visual, having a super accurate polar alignment is no where as important, and a simple motorized alt-az mount is sufficient, and then polar alignment is not even a thing.

This is just to illustrate the extreme differences between the two.

But for a mount like your Evolution, it is excellent for lunar and planetary photography. And the exact same processing software and cameras can be used with this as for deep sky objects, with mostly the very short exposure times being the biggest advantage so this means there will be no image rotation. Your current set up with the cameras you have, INCLUDING your phone, you are very much capable to producing sensational quality lunar and planetary photos! There are many very experienced and highly proficient lunar and planetary imagers on this forum that use a mount like yours to produce their exquisite photos, and using larger SCT's than your own with these mounts.

Some limited DSO photography is also possible with your Evolution mount without using a wedge for polar alignment. And the current stacking software greatly helps overcome some of the image rotation issues. You will be limited to the brighter DSO's.

So what I'm saying is don't think that you need to change to a different scope or mount to start on your imaging experience! You have everything you need to not only get started, but to produce some simply stunning work right now! The learning curve is a steep one, and you are already at the base of it, just didn't quite realize it

Hey, to help inspire you, I've attached some of my earliest pics done with existing stacking software (first two) (if you don't know what stacking is, don't worry, you'll get to it soon enough) and a couple of single frame smartphone pics done with my Maksutov scopes and an alt az mount like your Evolution.

I am only too happy to help you out if you have any questions. If I don't know something I am certainly able to point you to folks who know a whole lot more than me. Just drop me a PM

Alex.

Alex.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Saturn with 715D Intes.jpg)
20.1 KB32 views
Click for full-size image (Petavius 2 stack 1 2.jpg)
102.4 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (6 day old Moon Sept 5 2019.jpg)
170.0 KB26 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_20200508_141707.jpg)
107.8 KB27 views