View Single Post
Old 09-08-2009, 03:33 PM
mldee (Mike)
Photon sorter

Quote:
Originally Posted by avandonk View Post
I use a GstarEX into a USB Winfast TV thingo as a guidecam. The really good thing is you can dial in sensitivity by setting the frame integration rate. I can always find a guidestar even with a 90mm MAK at 1250mm FL. It has a decent sized sensor and its sensitivity is second to none. With the 150mm achro as a GScope there is never a lack of stars.

With Guidemaster have never had any problems.

Bert
I'm beginning to think the Gstar is well suited to my levels of experience, enthusiasm and finances.

A bit of guiding for my still camera obs stuff, plus a nice tool for astonomical viewing inside with the family. The only minor drawback I can see is the need for a hardware video capture gadget to store PAL images as AVIs.

The Video-to-USB cable approach seems the most elegant to me, as I could use one of the two existing USB cables I have from my pier to the obs laptop. I would also use a USB to serial cable to control the Gstar. Hopefully eventually all from the comfort of the house. Anyone got any experience / recommendations with this approach?