View Single Post
Old 25-07-2014, 07:29 PM
SamD (Sam)

Hi Goran

Yes, 1.25'' filters dwarf the titchy 314 chip. In fact, 1.25'' filters are quite big really, I've been happily using a 1.25 Ha in a mini filter holder to cover my Canon 450D sensor.

Yes, I read a lot of RC collimating problem threads and worried ! The RC8 was my first reflector and it really isn't very difficult. I found the Liveview methods (with Bahtinov mask) only useful for largish collimation errors. Next best was just looking down the barrel indoors and making adjustments so that everything possible is symetrical. In any case, this is good practce for working out which screw does what, and how quickly. The best method I've found is a basic Cheshire eyepiece. It's pretty straightforward to follow the AstroTech AT10RC collimation pdf and collimation seems to hold very well. I probably could get collimation "perfect" using lasers etc, and a lot more time, but I'm pretty sure that first seeing, then tracking/guiding are now my dominant sources of resolution loss, not collimation. If you do get the scope a long way out of collimation, you can get it back again pretty easily.

Sam