View Single Post
Old 14-07-2020, 08:29 AM
The_bluester (Paul)

If you are talking in terms of up to 6K for a mount, that would cover an ioptron CEM70G, which has an inbuilt guidescope/camera. I am actually waiting on delivery of one now. 600 mm or so would be about the limit on where you would think an inbuilt guider could perform before short focal length and differential flexure may become a problem.

That said, the inbuilt guider may or may not turn out to be a good thing, I am going in to that bit with my eyes open that I may end up having to buy a new OAG and guide cam sometime after the mount arrives. I am refreshing almost everything, so all my existing gear including OAG and guide cam will get put on my SCT for my son to use on the existing AZEQ mount. If he looses interest then I will have two imaging rigs at once. I am gambling on the inbuilt guider being a good thing. There was no significant cost difference between a CEM70 plus a new OAG and guide cam or a CEM70G with no new OAG or camera due to the inbuilt setup, that left the difference being better electronic integration on the CEM70G (Which has USB3 instead of USB2, and an inbuilt hub which leaves you with a single USB3 connection on the stationary part of the mount for mount control, inbuilt guider, inbuilt electronic polar scope and 3 port hub on the puck.