View Single Post
Old 14-10-2007, 12:55 AM
Rob_K

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaa_ian View Post
Great report Rob, sounds like a good night !
I admire your tenacity using a 4.5 " Tasco, you must be tempted to upgrade to an 8" Dob or the like ?
Thanks Ian! I've had the Tasco for a couple of years now and I love it. Bought it as an "upgrade" from a cheap plastic refractor, more or less an impulse buy based on nothing other than it looked big, black & shiny!

Have had the chance to look through lots of bigger scopes since, through our local observing group & at star parties, but to tell you the truth I prefer the views through the Tasco to those through commercial 8,10 & 12" dobs. Stars are bright & pinpoint against a very black background, not unlike the views through a small, good quality refractor (poor man's Tak?).

I like the wider field using a low power EP, and I have good dark skies where I live. So it's not so much what or how much I can see that interests me, but how I see it. And the thrill of the hunt etc - teasing faint objects out & all that. No aperture fever at all I'm afraid! I think if I "upgraded" again it would be for a good quality, small refractor, purely for imaging!

Cheers -