Thread: New obs build
View Single Post
Old 02-02-2020, 08:46 PM
The_bluester (Paul)

I made up a pier with materials gifted to me by Andrew C so that is ready to go. No rat cage here either. I michined (Which huge effort as it is a bit big for my lathe) a round base big enough to put an EQ8 plate on and bought an EQ6 pier adapter that I will bolt down once it is all in place and I can do a solar noon to align the plate pretty accurately. I welded the round plate on top and cut an access hand hole in the side of the pier to get at the central bolt for the EQ6 mount then fitted a wooden panel inside the pier so I can't drop the bolt to the bottom.

I was originally going to use four bolts to mount the pier to the block but was thinking better of it for leveling reasons, four mount bolts is a pain and three is easy! There is space on the base plate to make it three and for subsequent piers (Andy is going to want one too) I will get a triangular base plate cut.

I can see the point of up to five pier blocks and in a 6M X 6M roll off section (With a 3M X 6M warm/store room) I reckon I can make space for that many, not that I would expect to ever see that many piers in place at once, but three would be easy to see with a concrete base near the warm room to plonk a dob on a movement free surface.