Thread: Ngc 6744
View Single Post
Old 10-06-2019, 01:01 AM
Mickoid (Michael)

Ngc 6744

Inspired by Tim Anderson's shot of this galaxy a few days back, I decided to have a go at it on Friday night. The forecast for Friday was that was to be the pick of the bunch over the long weekend.

I drove out to my regularly visited dark sky site 1 hr drive north of where I live and it wasn't long after I had set up that I realised it was not going to be as good as predicted. Average to poor seeing and a breeze that strengthened as the night progressed confirmed that.

Oh well, never mind, just get it over and done with and head back home This object is rather dim so I used my modded Canon 550d at 1600iso which introduced noise. I took 60 x 1min subs through the 8 inch f5 Newt, unguided on a Heq5pro mount using a CC and UV/IR cut filter.

To finish the night I did a quick 5 x 1min exposure of Ngc 5139 and a video grab of Saturn ( which is where the bad seeing was most noticeable). Despite the disappointing conditions, I was reasonably happy with my image of Ngc 6744. I'll definitely have another got at this one.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Ngc6744.jpg)
200.9 KB36 views
Click for full-size image (5minOmega.jpg)
201.1 KB28 views
Click for full-size image (Saturn.JPG)
68.0 KB25 views