View Single Post
Old 24-11-2019, 07:22 AM
Swagman105 (Geoff)
swagman105

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swagman105 View Post
Just to add to my last Brian, I now see you are using Lat 36 degrees for Bendigo whereas Google earth shows all of Bendigo in the 37s. This also might make a small difference.
Having your true south and exact latitude identified prior to set is almost essential.
Hi Brian
my apologies. Just rechecked Google earth and you are right about being in the 36s at Bendigo not 37s as I suggested.
Have attached a pic of how I set up my tripod. Two straight edges - the long bit of wood lines up down along the true north south line I have permanently scribed into the concrete I identified using the true noon transit method. Another straight edge between the two back legs is squared to 90 degrees across the north south line using a carpenters square to confirm.
Provided I don't mess with the altitude adjustments between set ups (as I found out last night - I had been replacing some knobs on the mount) Octans is there every time using .75 zoom. Just a matter of recognising it upside down or sideways some times but there are some smaller asterisms in the vicinity you also get to recognise as well to help guide your eye to Octans.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1420 (Small).JPG)
96.3 KB31 views