View Single Post
Old 22-09-2009, 09:50 PM
troypiggo (Troy)
Bust Duster

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjnettie View Post
I'm still feeling my way through this myself, experimenting with different exposures and settings.
I guess a lot depends on the object in question and the type of dslr used.
I'm looking forward to hearing what others have to say on this topic.
Excellent thread.
Thanks JJJ - hoping to get some good discussion information here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by toryglen-boy View Post
after the pain of many nights of producing absolute garbage, i have found that i usually keep to ISO800, as its a nice balance of gain vs. noise, and if anything change the exposure. During colder months, i used 10 min subs, now its warming up, 6 mins ... and now i have the QHY8, and thats a whole different kettle of fish !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by leon View Post
Didn't even answer your poll, you ISO is much to high 200-400 max.

Leon
Leon, what the ISO is set to is not really relevant for the question. It's about whether you vary the ISO or keep it constant and vary the shutter speed. Doesn't matter if it's ISO 400 or 1600, does it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terry B View Post
I haven't used my SLR for astro images for a while but I wouldn't ever change the ISO. If you do you then need to do a entire set of darks again at the new ISO. Much easier to leave it the same.
But if you keep the ISO same and vary the shutter speed, you need entire set of darks for the new shutter speeds anyway. Benefit is that if they're shorted times, it's a quicker process. That was the point I was making in OP #1 above.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mill View Post
I did M42 and just changed the time.
Looked pretty good after processing.
I always shoot at iso 800 but might change that to iso 200 because i got my guiding nipped in the butt pretty well