View Single Post
Old 23-05-2011, 10:05 PM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

I can see what your saying marc, and yes thats most likely right with the black points and white points changing though i beg to differ with the research that i have done on it.

Each program has a slightly different method of calculating statistics, a good test would be to run the same image though nebulosity and say maxim if they both come up with the same statistics then its how the programs interperate the drivers and settings. But i come back to ascom, if ascom isn't the main interface between drivers, control programs mounts and what not. Other wise ascom would need a driver for maxim, one for nebulosity and every other program.

When you do the calibration its not just setting the black and white point or getting the ADU above a cirtain number, its about optimising the CCD so that the pixel wells are actually getting everything that lands in there. the Black point that you talk about from my understanding is to get rid of the back ground noise and pixels that don't quite register as signal.

The Offset and gain are also affected by temperature so changing the temp will automatically change your settings, this might be the reason why your settings differ between programs as the QHY8 doesn't have TEC its just flat out like a lizard running from a big old wedge tail eagle! This is also the reason why i run at -25 deg C when my TEC is sitting at 40% duty cycle, because i havn't done the settings for -30 or -35 deg C

I do understand that not all ccds are the same but at the end of the day they arnt that different to each other and proper calibration will maximise your sky time!