View Single Post
Old 23-05-2011, 11:28 AM
bmitchell82 (Brendan)
Newtonian power! Love it!

My settings where transferable to maxim, hence they give you a % gain and a numerical value. unless the qhy8 pro ascom driver is vastly different in set up to the qhy9 ascom driver they should come straight up. The good thing about that document is that it is a scientific way to calculate your offset and gain not just a oh yeah somewhere about there which will inevitably give you a half arse effort, starting points are all good but yeah...

With maxim when you are in the Camera control panel over where the Single, Continuous, Auto-save under that is a black arrow which will bring a drop down tab, within that tab you should find Camera settings, when the qhy8 is connected you should be able to bring up the Ascom settings, in there should be the Gain (%) Offset (numerical). Be aware that you have to do your gain and offset for both bin 1x1 and 2x2. My settings which are no reference to your camera is 1x1 = G:17% O:116 2x2 G:0 % O 118. if not just do a screen dump and send me a photo of your Ascom control panel and I will try and figure out what you need to do.

The difference in the operation and performance of my qhy9 with the proper calibration and the oh yeah she will be right is massive! My stars don't oversaturate anywhere near as quick (qhy9's are notorious for small well depths) and the colours are brilliant now even with standard qhy filters! though the red standard filter gives fire truck red stars that require a de saturating tool but that is another matter!

My histogram in Maxim has a very small peak with a large non saturated curve to the white point with a lot more data landing non saturated for 10 min images. For a 10" 4.7 newt this brings a fair amount of light into the system very quickly. What this means in the end is my stars have far better colour because the majority of them are not saturating, and the colour that lands in nebulosity is vibrant. If you look at my image of the area of Corona Australis notice all the tiny red and blue stars and stars within the diffraction spikes even to the major double star at the top has most of is colour, no its not "added in" high res click on the image to zoom in at 80% full resolution

PS. be careful of maxims standard histogram.... its more for screen stretching to see what you have in the image! there is a more accurate version within maxim that ill have to tell you where to look for it!