View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 12:03 PM
Greggles (Gregory)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rod View Post
Hi Greg

The first 3 images are of the Ed Jones type platform with tangent drive. The second 3 are the group project platform designed by our Instrument making section director. Notice it has 2 vertical curved sectors. The stepper motor drives both sectors for added stability.

Regards

Rod
Hey Rod,

I made the sectors as per reinervogel website on VSN eq platforms and had them plasma cut from a CAD image.

my sentence regarding pivot points was in relation to making the segments rather than the eq platform working. In the photos I've attached you can see how its demonstrated to pivot the south segment to a right angle. the pivot point is in the centre of the segment. Where as i've seen other places demonstrate to pivot it from the tip. which would make the south segment sit a few CM further than where it is now.

Im nto sure if im making any sense.

I'm thinking of just re doing the platform as ed jones design. it seems easier to get it spot on.

I would like to point out that the platform works perfect for visual and i've managed to do a lot of photography with it but only 4 seconds exposure max. where as others with same platform reporting 10 seconds plus.

hopefully will get some extra accuracy with eds style platform.

P.s my scope is always in the same spot at home so i've used the solar noon method to find true south and then fine tune with drift method.

thanks for the info.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (Schema_VNS2.gif)
10.1 KB133 views
Click for full-size image (Schema_VNS1.gif)
18.9 KB111 views