View Single Post
Old 30-08-2020, 05:17 PM
Rod

Hi Greg

I agree a stepper motor will be more accurate and consistent. You can also add nice features like automatic rewind.

I've made a couple of platforms. Friends have helped with the stepper motors and coding. However, I found the biggest source of tracking error was poor platform alignment and construction errors in the platform itself. The other issue I had was I got too fussy sometimes trying to get the perfect speed using a narrow field cross hair eyepiece. I found for visual use some speed error was not that noticeable when using moderate magnification.

With one of my platforms I spent ages adjusting speed. A friend then went over the platform. He ensured bearings were properly located and moving smoothly, removed any play in the motor connection etc. The improvement was dramatic.

You are probably a much better builder than I am. But I suggest you check these other potential sources of error (platform polar alignment and construction) before concluding motor speed is the issue.

Hope that helps. BTW please post some pictures. I for one would love to see what you have done.

Rod.