View Single Post
Old 11-05-2020, 08:39 PM
RyanJones

hi Chris,

The OTA shifting in the rings is not good. Good that you noticed it though before you made a million other changes chasing it

My ASIair setting are pretty simple really. I always make sure the speed it set to 8x ( advice given to me when I couldn’t get things to work ). The maximum DEC is factory ( I think ) at 2000ms, the RA I’ve increased to 3000ms. The aggressiveness on DEC again is set factory at 100%. Again the RA gets a push at 175%. Although the adjustments seem quite aggressive, they seem to work. Only when they are combined with a 3 sec exposure though. At 2 seconds they were a bit different.

I’d imagine the guide scopes we are using might be making a difference too. Mine is an 80mm f/5 refractor.

I’m waiting on a filter ( or 2 ) to try on my guide scope also to reduce the glow around the guide star and sharpen it up. It may or may not make a difference, time will tell. I think it’s a worthwhile experiment given the poor seeing I often image in. I’ve also ordered an offaxis guider but that’s going to be for my C9.25.

On the weekend I also stripped down my mount and regreased the bearings. I found some things about the worm drive that I wasn’t all that happy with and may re-address in the future. I’ve readjusted everything and I’m reasonably happy with how it came out. I won’t know if it’s helped and won’t until I get a clear night, hopefully this week sometime.

PM me if you like and want to discuss our findings more ?

Cheers

Ryan