View Single Post
Old 22-10-2017, 12:42 AM
Wavytone

Hmm. I bought a set about 2008 and sold them roughly 2 years ago. I bought them one by one new mostly from the US though it was evident the supplies were drying up, so I can only assume the ones I had were the new ones. 5, 8, 13 , 22 and 42 mm. Of these the 8 and 13 were my favourites. The 22 was never used... the 42 was OK but not as good as the LV50 mm (I had one and stupidly sold it which I since regret).

But others views may differ as a lot depends on your scope - mine being an f/15 maksutov.

While they were good in the scopes I had at the time I also realised they weren’t the sharpest particularly when it came to stars off axis near the edge - they displayed some lateral colour whereas other more modern types didn’t. There are better eyepieces IMHO starting with the Vixen SSW series, though you will need to find something else for the low power end as the SSW stop at 14mm, and the SLV 25 does not deliver the full field of view possible in a 1.25” barrel.

Bear in mind the LVW designs go back to the 1980s so they aren’t really a modern design anymore.

The LVW remain unique in that they span a huge range of 3.5 to 42mm and their weights are so similar that you won’t need to rebalance the scope. And dual 2”/1.25” barrels for 22nm and under is a huge help.

Even now I’m finding there are very few choices around the 20-25mm focal length in 1.25” barrels.