View Single Post
Old 16-05-2016, 11:43 AM
sil (Steve)
Not even a speck of dust

Raymo, I agree with the sentiment of your original post. However I think a big sticking point is astrophotographers are a niche market requiring long term equipment whereas Instagrammers can and do change their "gear" (read phones) often. We're not a get rich quick opportunity for someone but there is promise in the TinyMOS Tiny1.

I don't see why we can't have a camera that outputs FITS files using internal processing to create a single file, registered and stacked from its own captures as it goes, so you could put it on a tripod or tracking mount and it just captures and adds to a stacked image on the fly with maybe the registration options of deekskystacker from a larger mosaic to a smaller cropped region using data from all shots (maybe to a half resolution size maybe so the camera just keeps grabbing frames to reach this goal). It could internally task bias and dark frames and do subtractions and an illuminated lens/body cap for flats and output a single processed FITS file maybe with Master flat/dark/bias layers optional too. Should be achievable to do something like that. with configurability for users who want tons of data to process down to users who just want a pretty jpg for facebook. built in filters not a problem either, my pocket camera has a built in ND filter.

if we're going to fantasise it should have a built in lens at least equal to the antique Hubble Space telescope, be weatherproof, pocket sized, take infrared/ xray imagery too, radio and spectrum data too for everything in shot, able to shoot galaxies and faint nebulosity during noon time sun in a thunderstorm.