View Single Post
Old 05-09-2020, 10:14 AM
Rod

Quote:
What type of mount do you have? I have a VNS and definitely not sure on the accuracy of my build. Having said that, i'm extremely confident that everything is where i want it to be based on my calculations, but were my calculations right? the main confusion I had was where was the pivoting point for the south segment to 90 degrees with the base and pivoting the segments in the other direction (don't know how to explain)
Hi Greg,

I've built two styles of platforms. The first is similar to Ed Jones design:

There is a video description here

I used a tangent drive instead of the direct drive. The tangent drive was powered by a stepper motor. It rewinds automatically at the end of one hour's tracking. The circuit has a beeper which sounds to warn you rewinding is about to start. A different tone sounds when battery power is low. The code that runs the circuit also compensates for the small error introduced by using a linear drive. It's a nice system designed by the late Nils Olaf Carlin:

http://web.telia.com/~u41105032/Stepper/Stepper.htm

The other system I'm familar with is a group project we did at the ASV (Astronomical Society of Victoria). It used vertical sectors and a direct drive using a stepper motor. I'll post some photos in another post of the two platform designs for your interest.

How did you make the sectors on your platform? We used a jig to make ours. Ed Jones does his on a table saw with a sanding disk instead of the blade.

Did you calculate the centre of mass of your scope and mount? I ask because motor slippage in a direct drive could muck up the tracking if you did not.

I'm a bit confused by your last sentence above about the 'pivoting point for south segment'. In the southern hemisphere it is the South sector that would be vertical. A photo and a description of your alignment process would be useful.

The motor you have is used by a lot of people for their platforms so it should be possible to make it work. But I do agree that a stepper motor is likely to be better in the long term.

Regards,

Rod.