View Single Post
Old 28-08-2016, 06:22 PM
wasyoungonce (Brendan)
Certified Village Idiot

Hi Luka...been absent for a few days. Enjoyed the break...fixing soldering stations. Now I want anything but soldering stations!

I agree on Peltiers...we don't ant to over kill...but ...seeing that beauty from E14.....my testosterone levels went up a notch! I would have thought a 40mm sq unit is a bit big for our needs. Looks like the Ukrainians (and others) are looking at a much smaller 3A unit. Notice its 8V? What's the deal here? Odd voltage rating? Or is this an avg voltage?

Those TEC units are a little pricey, nice, but pricey. Might have to revert to fleabay. From my understating of TEC units (I may be wrong) they:
Are best run at a slightly lower voltage than specified;
They don't like PWM but hey this is probably the easiest method of controlling average cooling capacity (depends on what PWM freq used in the firmware);
Current draw for our application is limited ~3A'ish;
The centre PCB hole for the cold finger is 20mm dia which might limit TEC sizes to around this dimension;
A dual unit wins hands down over a single unit;
What cooling capacity do we need? Hard to tell...I noticed my Canon 450D pretty much plateau'd off noise wise at around 5ºC and below. meaning the noise floor had been reached. That said...what to QHY run their units at?

I'm not fussed atm...I'll start looking now and get back on this.

Brendan