View Single Post
Old 09-03-2006, 10:15 AM
Dan31415

Quote:
Originally Posted by g__day
Lee of Andrews rather helpfully responded that he doesn't source his gear from the USA, but on those deals I linked to Lee said $7,000 landed would be a decent rate covering all overheads - still a $2,000 saving, from Andrews price vs $9,535 from Astronomy Online - showing a $2,500 mark up!
As an economist , the reason they charge higher prices is quite simply because they can. The market for selling telescope is far from competitive and there is not particularly good information - by this I mean that people in the market are not aware of all the prices and products that are in the market. Although forums like this one create better information for consumers. If everyone was aware that one shop is generally more expensive than another people will stop shopping there and prices will eventually come down or they will go out of business. On top of this very simple analysis there are other dimensions such as buying power which may reduce costs, market share etc...

A classic example was that I was not aware that myastroshop sold 8 inch dobs for $440 with shipping for $25 until I was advised on one of the forums, now if Andrews can't do a similar deal I will buy from myastroshop, eventually if all 8 inch dob purchasers faced a similar choice set prices will eventually adjusts to similar levels (if there are enough consumers etc..)

Dan