View Single Post
Old 11-03-2011, 07:33 PM
Red Nine (Evan)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ N View Post
Great first light report Evan. I did have a couple of questions with regards to the scope. You woudn't have any idea how much the base and the OTA weighs? I am very much intertested in purchasing one of these as well, but I am really toying up between the 12 and the 14, except I am very concerned that the 14 is too big, and may be difficult to move around for one person. From some of the threads that I have seen about these scopes, the 12 really hits the nail with regards to portability versus aperture!!

Hope you get some clear skies very soon!!

Cheers,

Daniel
Hi Daniel,

The OTA for the 12 inch weights 21kg, while the 14 inch comes in a little heavier at 23.5kg. The collapsible design obviously saves some weight which makes it a lot more comfortable for transportation.

I'd probably put the mount a little under the 20kg mark for the 12 inch, not sure what the 14 inch comes in at.

So altogether, around 40kgs. It is manageable for one person, if it's carried in two parts, which is quite simple to do. I have to carry mine around 20 meters to reach my observing point so its a bit of a walk, but I'm still young and can cope with it.

I was having trouble deciding between the 10 and the 12 inch but opted for the 12 due to the greater aperture. I'm glad I went for the 12, but I don't think I could've gone larger.

Certainly your call though, the 12 is large and bulky, but definitely manageable. Keep in mind though that you'd be needed to carry accessories with you as well such as battery pack, eyepieces etc...

Sorry for the ramble, hope you can make some sense of it and it helps you make a decision