View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 10:46 AM
Tinderboxsky (Steve)
I can see clearly now ...

Yes, I enjoy the challenge of observing these moons at Opposition. I am using a 140mm refractor with good optics but only the first 6 moons listed are within reach. Titan, Rhea, Tethys, Dione and Iapetus have been relatively straight forward. Enceladus is quite difficult at 140mm aperture given it’s close proximity to the rings and the glare from Saturn. I have observed it successfully during the previous couple of Oppositions by using an occulting bar.

A related challenge is to observe all moons within reach of your telescope on the same night. I have found this needs a night where the moons are well positioned combined with very good seeing and transparency and a dark sky.

I last achieved this on 29th June 2017 just after the last Opposition. To quote my notes at the time:

"Clear, sharp disc with multiple banding gradations. Strong 3d effect even though no shadow on rings. Rings wide open. Clear, sharp rings and Cassini Division. Multiple sharp gradation evident. 6 moons: Titan, Rhea, , Tethys, Dione, Iapetus and Enceladus (required Saturn behind occulting bar). Field star adjacent to Titan. Second observation 2 hours later showed the obvious movement of the planet and its moons in relation to the star.” - Seeing 5/5, transparency 7/7, Scope Vixen NA140SS with LVW5 giving 160X. Occulting bar in Baader 10mm Classic Ortho with 2X Televue barlow giving 160X.

.. next challenge; Mars and it’s two moons! I plan to borrow a larger scope for this challenge.

Last edited by Tinderboxsky; 08-07-2018 at 10:50 AM. Reason: Additional information