View Single Post
Old 27-07-2011, 07:36 PM
ngcles
The Observologist

Hi Paddy & All,

Thanks for taking the time to share your observations with us. Good to see someone going after some of the more obscure G.Cs, though at first Pismis 26 had me a bit stumped -- it is better known (to me at least) as Ton 2.

One of the tricks with Ton 2 is to exclude the 4th magnitude star (Q Scorpii) that is just 8-odd arc-mins SE from the cluster and most importantly ... don't look for something that looks like a GC -- look for what seems like a small, LSB face on spiral eg. Here's how it appeared to me back in 1996 with 25cm at x181:

"This cluster is found 7-7.5' to the NW of mag 4.5 Q Scorpii. This must be excluded to permit detection. Extremely !! faint in this apeture, barely there but largish, 2.5' -3' diameter as a weak patch of diaphanous gossamer with no central brightening. Mag 13 * superimposed in the WSW near the edge. Round. Confirmed by G Mitchell."

Your observation of Lynga 7 is remarkably similar to mine from 2000 with 31cm at x186:

"This took some time to pick up in the field. It lies within a Tri formed by a mag 8 *, a mag 9 *, and an inverted "Y" shaped asterism of mag 13-14 *s, which is 5' a side. One or two mag 14-5-15 *s are seen superimposed on the halo. It is hard to believe they are resolved *s. 2' diameter with a weak central brightening and looks like a face on spiral eg of v/lsb. It is probably easier than Vdb-HA 176."

Have you tried for Vdb 176HA (also in Norma) yet Pat?

Best,

Les D