View Single Post
Old 16-07-2009, 10:10 AM
Paul Haese

Hmm, I will weigh in.

I reckon a lot of this has to do with experience and skill level. I like using my cooled 40D because it is easy to use and is not overly complicated. It is great to learn imaging with and processing as a starting point. This is a big factor in imaging, learning should be fun and you getting better results makes for easy learning. Jumping in the deep end will be frustrating at best and could lead to fairlure.

However, there comes a time when you need to move on to better equipment. The cost factor is significantly higher, the resolution is much better, the data is better, but the learning curve is very high. Personally going striaght to monochrome seems like a mistake for a learner. There are so many things an astrophotograher must learn and master first that adding this complication just makes for a disaster. The one shot colour CCD would be fine but really the DSLR is nearly the same and is more versatile and will still mean you have to upgrade down the track to get those awesome images.

I am in the process of upgrading and only went further because I want to get better images than I already am. It is a big step.