View Single Post
Old 18-06-2011, 02:26 AM
midnight (Darrin)
Always on the road

Eclipse From The west

Greetings All!

There have been some fantastic photos of this event.

I tried prime photography with the 40D into my LXD55 8"SN. In a rush and still half asleep & woke up 45min later than I planned, I got the mount out, scope on and turned on Autostar. rushing, I just did a 1 star alignment and off it went then I heard the motor pitch up higher and yeak!! no counterweight and the OTA is now at nearly 45 deg and just about to topple over. I cut the power, tripod tethering on falling, tripped over the dog, on the ground with the OTA still dangly but a lot of noise as I landed nicely into a table which had 2 sheets of 1.8m sheet steel and you can imagine the noise at 4:30AM. Ohh dear!

Anyway, scope and tripod were fine and off I went (+ counterweights + many dogs barking in the neighbourhood).

1st two are 40D prime into the 8"SN. 3 Sec ISO800 and then 11 sec ISO 400. final is my 1st attempt at animated Gif after seeing some nice animations in this forum as I had some shots albeit some different in exposure - I was not planning on doing an anim. Interesting to see the movement of the moon w.r.t the stars. In hindsight I would have loved to do an animation of the moon against the stars.

Hope you like.

Cheers,
Darrin...

PS - REMEMBER to put your counterweights on
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (_MG_9767.jpg)
119.7 KB55 views
Click for full-size image (_MG_9769.jpg)
167.6 KB45 views
Click for full-size image (MoonAnim001.gif)
178.3 KB48 views