View Single Post
Old 22-06-2008, 08:15 PM
laurieg (Laurie)

Starstuff axed!!

an interesting excerp from hansard approx 2005/06

Topic: StarStuff on NewsRadio
Hansard Page: ECITA 136

SenatorRonaldsonasked:

Senator RONALDSON—………—a popular ABC News Radio program called Star Stuff apparently plays on Saturday and Sunday nights. Is anyone aware of this program, Star Stuff on Radio National?
Mr Green—Yes, it is on News Radio.
Senator RONALDSON—News Radio, that is right. Is it right that the program rates four or five times more highly than News Radio’s general programming?
Mr Green—I would have to take that on notice. I do not have that.
Senator RONALDSON—Off the top of your head though, Mr Green, is it a reasonable claim?
Mr Green—Yes, I think it has a particular following. It takes an approach to astronomy that is not available elsewhere and I think there is appreciation for that.
Senator RONALDSON—Is it right that the ABC is planning to axe this program and replace it with a package of science clips from overseas?
Mr Green—I cannot respond to that. I am not aware of that. That may be the case. I mean, I cannot speak for the director of radio on that matter but I am happy to take that on notice.
Senator RONALDSON—If you could take that on notice. If you could just find please where it rates and whether this is indeed correct. Thank you.

Answer:

The ABC is not planning to axe the StarStuff program

It is problematic to compare a distinctive half hour program with overall ABC NewsRadio programming, as such a comparison does not account for program duration, time of day a program is broadcast and the availability of audiences. A more appropriate comparison of how a program performs relative to other programs on that station is to compare the audience for the half hour preceding the program and the audience in the half hour after the program. Average weekly results for 2005 (Source: 5 city data, Nielsen Media Research):

Reach 000s %Share
Saturday
10.30-11 pm 29 4%
StarStuff (rpt) 11–11.30 pm 40 6.1%
11.30 – 12 midnight 37 6.8%

Sunday
10.30-11 pm 40 5.8%
StarStuff 11 – 11.30 pm 38 7 %
11.30 – 12 midnight 33 7 %

Monday
12.30-1 pm 15 0.6 %
StarStuff (rpt) 1–1.30pm 18 0.8 %