View Single Post
Old 21-11-2011, 10:02 AM
steve000 (Steve)
just a bit obsessed

Update

Hi All,

Thought I would upload the 1st and possibly final Pier design.

some measurements are not on the PDF, thos measurements are "wildcards" meaning the bolt diameter for example can change.

The plates i mentioned in an earlier post, the center of the hole are actually 25mm in rater than 20mm in the pdf.

The pier consists of 7 pieces.

The base 300x300x20mm

The Pier 165mm pipe 5mm walls

Top and Bottom plates 2x 200x200x10mm welded together to make 20mm thickness. (all i could get)

Bolts either M12 but up to M20 depending on what drill bit I can get, I need to modify my press as it runs a little fast for a 20mm bit.

Adapter plate, 150mm aluminium turned and machined on a lathe by a fellow ISS memeber, the plate is fantastic and fits the EQ6 perfectly.

Similar design to http://www.altairastro.com/product.p...9&cat=0&page=1
Mine is just a little larger and not anodized

I also have comming from ebay some bearings in various sizes to trial making my own rollers for the dome. The plan is 2 bearings inserted in the ends of some pipe.

I have also attached an almost to scale 12" scope to get an idea of what it will look like.. remember its almost to scale, it was a quick "I wonder what it will look like if I do this".

On a side note, I have also started constructing an electric hacksaw. Recent projects have made me relise i hate cutting steel with an angle grider or hacksaw. I dont have the money to spend on a drop saw... yet..
the 1st version will be made using wood, with a 1450rpm 1/2 hp motor. I will use the motor and its pulleys to turn 2 pulleys out of MDF. the end result will be a electric hacksaw that cuts around 60-90 cuts per minute. Meaning slow but perfect cut of metals.
Version 1 will cut the steel to make version 2, a steel version of version 1.

Small things getting done but it is all getting there, completion is just within sight (through a 12' newt with a 5x barlow and a 4mm eyepiece)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 200mm Pier.pdf (345.8 KB, 45 views)
File Type: pdf 200mmpierscope2.pdf (437.2 KB, 42 views)