Thread: Baader Zoom
View Single Post
Old 21-01-2018, 11:40 AM
Joves (Aaron)

I recently purchased two of these (MkIV) with two matching Barlow systems from Telscope Express, predominantly for use in my Baader MkV binoviewer. Am yet to use them as a pair, but have had a couple of short sessions with one of them in a Mak127. I know this scope isn’t overly demanding on eyepieces, but I was actually quite surprised at the quality of image it provided and was very surprised to note on both occasions that it seemed to provide marginally higher contrast than my Televue Panoptic 24, an eyepiece I also really like.

I pretty well purchased the Mak as a quick grab and go/travel scope on a Skywatcher AZGti Mount and tripod/pier (as a side note, everything bar the tripod/pier fits in a small airline portable Pelican case, which makes for a great travel companion), so wanted the zoom to minimise eyepieces required on a trip. I effectively only need the zoom with this scope, but intend to travel with a Pan 24, the Baader Zoom and possibly the 3-6 Nagler zoom (overkill on this scope, but takes up literally no space, so can’t hurt to have just in case the rare occasion arises that I feel I need excessive amounts of power).

I can see myself rarely removing the Baader zoom from this scope, it appears to be that good so far!