View Single Post
Old 20-04-2008, 10:48 AM
ngcles
The Observologist

Re: Your Report

Hi Doug,

Great report as usual mate.

You wrote:

"v Scorpii - double star in Scorpius - actually a triple star, I suspect. Bright primary, with the faint companion a tight double."

I assume you mean Nu Scorpii (14 Scorpii) near Beta. Nu is actually a really lovely "double-double" but a somewhat more difficut split than Epsilon Lyrae. I can't recall the splits at the moment but I use the tighter pair in winter as as a seeing test. From memory it is at about 1.1". The wider pair is much easier and the pair-to-pair split is quite do-able in binoculars. Really nice.

You wrote:

"M4 - globular cluster in Scorpius - had a bit of trouble finding this at 192x, so I wound it back to 108x and found it easily. Such a weird globular, with the spine of bright stars right across the core. Nice to welcome it back."

Indeed! The north-south spine of stars starts to become noticable from about 4" in aperture (the point where it begins to show _signifiicant_ resolution) and reaches its "distinctiveness peak" at about the 12-14" mark and from that point upward in aperture, it starts to get lost in more and more resolved stars. It is fading well and truly at 24" and by the time you get to 40", it is well and truly swamped by the other resolved stars. It is a lovely object.

The Herald-Bobroff serving you well?

Best,

Les D