View Single Post
Old 12-11-2020, 12:39 PM
SeeMeade (Colin Meade)

FireCapture Teething Issues Continue

My local astro club beginner night has been cancelled twice due weather and waiting for it to be rescheduled. In meantime, I'm struggling on. Five questions follow. Thanks for your time.

1) Split screen issues continue. See images attached, sometimes horizontal, sometimes vertical, sometimes both at once and colour is either grey or black.

2) I've tried using the button to centre the planet in the ROI, but it just makes the planet disappear?

3) Is there a way to adjust the slew rate when using the cardinal buttons (which I've just found after watching a Dylan O'Donnell video) to adjust tracking in FireCapture?

4) If AutoGuiding works in FireCapture do I have to align the scope first? Tree-limited available sky from my yard limits me to a small overhead arc, which can be ok for planetary, but not for alignment, so I have been travelling to an observing sight which is getting to be a pain with travel time, setup, packup etc, especially when the capture isn't working...

5) I've just tried my first imaging with a x2 TV Barlow and x2.5 Powermate. The image of Saturn with the PM was very dark - I ran out of upper adjustment range on the gain & exposure and it was still too dark. I had to fudge it by selecting a smaller darker planet from the drop down settings, to give me a wider range, but that then will stuff up the file storage and naming conventions....
But the crux of the question is whether the light passing through the additional lenses in a PM will dim it significantly? Less of an issue in barlow (less lenses?)

Heading to some dark skies inland tomorrow and hoping for a more successful imaging session.
Attached Thumbnails
Click for full-size image (IMG_1252.jpg)
54.7 KB23 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1276.jpg)
84.2 KB27 views
Click for full-size image (IMG_1279.jpg)
56.4 KB23 views