View Single Post
Old 08-05-2017, 02:08 PM
Hemlock

Laser Pointers for Astronomy - HELP!!!

Hello all;

I am a biology teacher and amateur astronomer. I often take students on overnight field-trips, and find that this is a great opportunity to do a stargazing talk. As anyone who has ever tried to point out a constellation or a star to a novice audience on such occasions can attest, a powerful laser pointer is absolutely invaluable for such work.

I am in desperate need of some good, reliable advice as to how to go about acquiring a relatively higher-powered laser pointer in Australia. I say "higher powered", because I have already purchased a 1 mW from a reputable Australian supplier, and unfortunately I have discovered that such a unit is just not powerful enough to point out stars on a clear, cold night sky in a rural location (they do better in the suburbs, which I guess is a reflection of the greater levels of air pollution). I know from experience that a more powerful laser pointer (in the possession of an acquaintance visiting from the States) did act very effectively as a star pointer in the same clear-sky, rural locations where my 1 mW unit failed.

I've looked into the legal side of things, and essentially, here in Queensland, laser pointers up to 20 mW are legal IF they are used for a valid astronomical purpose and are in the possession of someone who is the member of a recognized astronomical society. Obviously, I understand that common sense considerations apply in terms of never pointing a powerful laser pointer at anything other than a distant star of planet.

I was hoping someone on your forum could suggest a "reputable dealer" to purchase such a laser pointer from? Surely there must be some sort of recognized astronomical supplier within Australia who can handle such goods? Some of the general listings on eBay seem pretty psychotic (pictures of lasers being used to ignite match heads and that kind of thing) and the last thing I want to do is buy a dangerous unit or support an irresponsible seller. I would imagine that any such purchase from overseas would be blocked by customs anyway?

I've been trying to navigate this issue for months now, without success. There must be some way of buying a laser pointer in a responsible way and from a responsible seller? Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated - especially in regards to how much mW power is needed to be effective as a star pointer, and how much power is just needlessly dangerous. Has anyone had a positive experience in ordering one of these online? cheers, John.