View Single Post
Old 30-03-2007, 03:58 PM
higginsdj
A Lazy Astronomer

HI Joe,

May I ask by what means you are measuring the images and how you are determining correlation or consistancy with the track of your proposed object? What level of error do you have in your measurements? To extrapolate a position implies you have determined a rough orbit - do you feel inclined to share the orbital parameters?

Is ther extrapolation based on just 2 images? How far appart are these images in time?

Looks like I will be clouded out tonight (taking one or two images is typically no probelm for me - it's just a matter of entering the co-ordinates into my automated observing plan) so I can't look at your co-ordinates.

Now you do realise that images (film, scanned film and CCD) all suffer from flaws (film flaws, dust, dirt and scratches, cosmic ray hits, read noise and hot pixels). Investigating every 'disappearing' dot based on a single image is really a waste of time. A more reliable method is observing a moving dot and even that can be misleading (but far moe reliable that a single disappearing dot)

Cheers