View Single Post
Old 07-06-2018, 02:36 PM
el_draco (Rom)
Politically incorrect.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpastern View Post
Has the curriculum changed that much though over the years? I don't have children, but I await with interest my 4 year old niece entering school. I'm more interested in her education than her parents I suspect lol. At least, the quality of her education.
The curriculum is a mess, has been since the late 70's when the powers that be decided to adopt "whole language" approach to reading. Better call it, "direct path to illiteracy". Then followed the "You can't fail a kid because its bad for their self esteem" waffle... No one fails, no one tries....

As a teacher, the things that stands out for success are:
- Teach language phonetically, no short cuts and start young, before they go to "kinder". I read fluently at 5...
- Teach mental arithmetic and drill teach Times tables until they are faster than an calculator ( Real easy: Use black mail, bribery, threats... whatever it takes!).
- Read to them, for them and with them.
- Instil a love of learning.
- Teach them high personal standards, If they believe in themselves, they wont accept anything less..
- Feed curiosity.
- Teach them to dream without limits.
- Invest your own time, you get ONE shot at being a good parent.

Do these things, and the school they attend is largely irrelevant.

(Oh, for gawds sake, don't pay private school fees, waste of money. These places claim to have a higher success rate; they don't. They just concentrate kids from families who are more affluent and therefore more interested in their kids education. Spend the money on your children, not private school building funds )