View Single Post
Old 01-05-2016, 12:25 PM
willik (Willik)

willik

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRejto View Post
I can make some comments about the Moravian G2 8300 since I own one. I've yet to actually use it for imaging partly due to the long wait for my MX, lousy weather, and not being motivated to use my old equipment. But in the meantime I've "experimented" quite a lot with software, particularly with software that would play nice with the MX.

Here are the issues as I see it. I can say without hesitation that the ASCOM drivers for the G2 8300 are unreliable, especially with regard to moving the inbuilt filter wheel. I tested the ASCOM drivers in CCDSoft, AstroArt and TSX (camera plugin). In all of these programs the movement of the filter wheel is unreliable and I cannot get Moravian to admit that there is a problem. Moravian did fix an issue with dark frame exposures that I brought to their attention, but it took some time. This presents some real problems; without a reliable ASCOM driver you can basically forget about CCDSoft, especially in WIN7 64 bit. In Win7 images from the G2-8300 will not download (they do in XP). After working with Evan Warkentine for over a month he finally wrote an X2 driver for CCDSoft that will allow an image to download though in order to achieve this he had to remove all CCD temperature readouts. Given that there is no native driver for the G2-8300 in CCDSoft (and Moravian seems uninterested in writing one) I have abandoned the idea of using this software. I think I can use the TSX camera plugin, ignore the filter issue, and at least use TSX for T-Point with the camera, but imaging will be a no go.

I'm trying to decide between spending a lot on MaxIM, or somewhat less on AstroArt. Both have native drivers, but obviously MaxIm is much deeper. The camera does come with a reliable imaging program (SIPS) but I find it limiting in that it will not run FocusMax, or guide with the equipment I own (SSAG). In fact with FocusMax it's either CCDSoft, or MaxIM.... I did get AstroArt to run my focuser (Starizona Microtouch), but I'm not sure how their builtin autofocus program compares to FocusMax (I'm guessing perhaps not as well).

The bottom line for me is that I'm not thrilled by the software for the G2-8300 and I wish I'd done my homework better before trying to match it up with the MX. I was enamoured by the inbuilt filter wheel, price point, and good images I saw in researching my choices. If I could do it again I'd give a very close look to the FLI even though it rather more expensive. (The image download time for their camera is stunning.)

There is a lot of discussion about the hardware aspects of cameras, but perhaps not enough consideration about the software that accompanies the camera. It's a huge factor when you try to get everything working together. I'm still very much scratching my head while looking for the best solution.
I have got a moravian g2 8300 and it works with Ascom drivers
and it works perfect a superb camera easy set on a usb so simple
works with maxim dl you need to take time and read how to set up properly
and it will work properly so simple and what a great camera and not chinese
like most need to follow the instructions properly.