Thread: ABC stargazing
View Single Post
Old 25-05-2018, 01:57 PM
theodog (Jeff)
Every photon is sacred !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
Don’t get me wrong...more power to the ABC for popularising Astronomy.
In that we're on the same page.
There was nothing really-really wrong with what they did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Ward View Post
As a side issue, I supplied most of the equipment for a school observatory not that long ago. It’s a great facility with a 20” RC....not cheap, but I was agog to discover same school spent 28x more (we are talking many $millions) on a....wait for it...gymnasium. Comparted to sport in Australia, it seems Astronomy/Science/Tech is only a passing interest.
That's great that they could afford that. Our school needed community help to buy a second-hand 11" for the faculty, I know of many other schools still struggling with the 4' Tasco from the 70's. The "oohs" and "ahhs" from students and community that look through it, to me make it gold.
Yet 3 of my Physics students appeared on "Stargazing" having imaged M83.
Negative criticism of the TV show and the activities, is an attack on all those involved from the AAT/ANU staff, through all those (from my teaching staff, students and community) who volunteered their time and efforts to promote our hobby without personal gain.

Maybe these shows might help the Education dept's bean counters throughout the country prioritise STEM for our (all) kids.

Thank you Peter for giving me the chance to recognise those who made a positive contribution to promoting amateur astronomy.

And I by no means imply that you haven't done this.