View Single Post
Old 30-09-2011, 08:35 AM
gregbradley

Quote:
Originally Posted by cventer View Post
Greg,

Whats your thoughts on KAF-6303E based sensors cameras ?

Regards
Chris
Sorry only just saw this.

I have never used the KAF6303E but it is a highly regarded chip.
One of the highest QEs in the Ha band and a total QE of about 68% which is similar to the KAF09000.

9 micron pixels seems to be a good one size fits all scopes type pixel size. Large well depth - 100,000+. The main drawback of this chip is it is not anti-blooming. From what I have been told you have to watch the brighter stars and exposure lengths because of that as even though there are software that claim to handle blooms in reality they don't do a perfect job.

I think that is why it seems to be mainly popular with narrowband imagers who are looking for high QE in the narrowband ranges which this chip delivers. Steve Crouch has demonstrated it is a powerful imaging chip as well. Just the blooming thing would be a pain.

The 6303 also seems more prone to degradation over time - based on a comment by Richard Crisp.

It is also quite an expensive chip and 6303 chipped cameras are usually around US$7000+. STL6303 is one of the cheapest especially at the moment with their sale at $5995.

The KAF8300 is better bang for your buck, is antiblooming, more defect free, way cheaper and not that much less sensitive. I think its about 50% QE in Ha.

Greg.