View Single Post
Old 09-01-2024, 04:44 PM
Leo.G (Leo)

Quote:
Originally Posted by doppler (Rick)
This procedure worked for me, a bit fiddly but worth the effort without doing a full strip down and re-grease.

Aren't the gears disengaged when the clutches are released?
Sorry, ignorance on my behalf I've not played with the HEQ5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcab (Andy)
Also, is it normal that the HEQ5 Pro mount, with clutches unlocked, when balancing, after being rotated to the horizontal - has more resistance if I keep attempting to rotate any further? Is this normal, do I need some re-greasing perhaps.
Clutches released there shouldn't be any snagging or friction.

Perhaps a silly question, has the mount always snagged when balancing?
It does sound like a grease problem, bearing problem or incorrect tensioning of a shaft retaining nut though that should cause the same friction throughout barring a bent shaft.

If I was going to the trouble of greasing it I'd be inclined to go through a full clean up, capabilities, time and the perhaps necessary tools permitting.

In saying that I did a full strip, tune up and re-engineering of my lesser EQ5 PRO mount and found the RA head had some nasty high spots from manufacture where the alloy gear was snagging and, plastic shims instead of the PTFE (quickly replaced with 0.5mm PTFE shims I cut). For the price of the mounts they are not great manufacturing standards. Not bad but certainly not great.
There are many pages on strip down and maintenance/repair of the HEQ5.

If you do decide on doing a full strip down might I suggest zip lock plastic bags (or small containers, ice cream or anything) and separate the parts from each section into their own bags/containers/small cartons. There are so many parts it can get a little confusing as to what goes where (I took photos too just to be sure)

I cleaned the high spots off mine with wet and dry, light oil and a lot of caution and it's now as smooth as it should have been from new.
The re-engineering, I replaced the standard roller in the head with a tapered roller bearing (The HEQ5 has the tapered roller standard I believe) and a better quality thrust bearing. That meant having the head machined out by an extra 4mm depth for the tapered roller.

Though the HEQ5 is made with higher quality materials and design standards, mine has alloy gear rings, the HEQ5 has brass, I guess it's a case of what you pay for. Mine was a far cheaper mount when new I believe.

Good luck!

Last edited by Leo.G; 09-01-2024 at 05:15 PM.