View Single Post
Old 17-01-2019, 07:45 PM
JeniSkunk (Jenifur)

For me, I've always had an interest in science and technology in general. But I've never had the intense drive to specialize in any particular field.

Places like Greenwich, Mt Palomar, Parkes, and Mt Stromlo were familiar names to me by the time I was 7, because of their association with science and astronomy. I understood how reflector telescopes worked by age 8, and dreamed of going to those places, and maybe, getting to view the night skies through them. The images of space in encyclopaedias were as familiar to me as the ones of computers, and the control room at Cape Canaveral.

Like Andy, in the 1980s, I'd avidly watch for any updates reported about Voyager, usually watching them on Towards 2000 on ABC, and later Beyond 2000 on channel 7.

It wasn't till March last year, with a sale display of telescopes at Australian Geographic, that my interest was piqued, hard. A lot of cool looking telescopes, at prices I could afford. I could have easily impulse bought, but decided to learn first about these telescopes, before shelling out a single cent. Learning what was the best capability for price, and best fit for where I'd be able to set it up, made the final choice easy, only one real contender.

Once I got to look through it at the night sky, it was great to finally be doing something I'd dreamed of, and never really thought I'd have the chance to.