View Single Post
Old 08-07-2018, 11:32 AM
Allan_L (Allan)
Member > 10year club

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaroleH View Post
Hi, a friend in UK - new to astronomy - is looking to buy a National Geographic 60/700 AZ Refractor telescope. About 80 pounds sterling.
Any advice re this? It seems to get quite good reviews online. Thanks for advice! : }
Hi Carole,
While I basically agree with Wavy, I have read the reviews of people who have bought this scope,(as a beginners scope) and they are not all that bad. Here

It is going to provide good views of the moon, maybe some of the bigger DSO's like Orion nebula. But will probably struggle after that.

The eyepieces (4/12.5/20 mm), are probably only just OK (maybe not the 4).
The Barlow Lens (3x), will probably not be a pleasant experience.
But the erecting lens should make the scope usable for terrestrial viewing.

But I don't like EQ mounts for beginners, and they are painful for terrestrial use.
As a cheap intro scope, it is what it is. A good toy, not a serious instrument.
But if they decide to progress with the hobby, they will need to upgrade soon.

My first scope (which was a suck and see test for me) was a no name 6 inch (150mm) Newtonian reflector on EQ mount. It cost me $100 (Aus) and provided the inspiration I needed to get further in the hobby (read: spend more on a bigger scope). But it provided a WOW view of Saturns rings. That's my story anyway.

Personally, I don't like recommending binos for beginners. They can be frustrating to use, and hard to hold steady enough to view much detail.
But that's just me.